Home Office Design for Real Estate Agents
As someone who works from home, it’s important to have a professional office space that not only meets your wants and needs but leaves a positive impression on your clients and other visitors. You should certainly be happy and comfortable with your home office space, but you’ll want to ensure that your clients will be too.
To learn how to design the perfect office space for your home-based real estate business, check out these tips from Classic Real Estate School!
What to Consider When Designing a Home Office
Before designing an office space for your home-based business, there are a few important steps you’ll need to take. These include:
- Understanding the home office tax deduction. To receive the home office deduction at tax time, you’ll need to ensure that your new office space meets the requirements of the IRS. H&R Block offers a quick overview of the home office deduction and how to claim it at tax time.
- Selecting a space for your new home office. Several options are worth exploring, like converting a garage, basement, attic, or spare bedroom into space for your home-based business.
Designing a Client-Friendly Home Office Space
Next, you’ll need to learn how to design a client-friendly office space. Since you’ll be welcoming clients and other visitors into your home, you’ll need an office space with:
- Ample guest parking.
- Comfortable seating for visitors.
- Doors that can be closed for added privacy.
- A mini-fridge for storing bottled water, sodas, and other snacks for guests.
- Don’t forget about organization features such as file cabinets, paper storage solutions, cubbies, and shelves.
Furnishing Your Home Office Space
Once you get past the red tape, finding a space and making it work, it’s time for the fun part: making it your own!
You can go luxe, minimalist or shabby chic, but your furnishings and decor should have a comfortable and professional vibe. The goal is to find a balance that conveys professionalism while appointing an office you love to work in.
Furnishing your space doesn’t have to cost a fortune, and you can find deals on quality furniture, tables, lighting, cushions, art and more if you shop savvy. Stores like Target have affordable home office decor that looks like a million bucks. And if you want to go snazzier, retailers like Bloomgindale’s or Macy’s offer great pieces that are worthwhile investments. Plus, if you dig up Bloomingdale’s promo codes or Target promotions, you can boost your savings.
Remember to keep all your receipts because yes, this can go toward business deductions!
Maintaining Your Space
To keep your new office space and the rest of your home clean, tidy, and organized, you may wish to enlist the help of a few professionals, including house cleaning and lawn care services. Lawn care professionals will keep up the curb appeal of your home, while a cleaning service will clean and freshen up your home and office interior.
It doesn’t take much to create the perfect office for your home-based business, just a little elbow grease with the right layout and the right furnishings. When you use the tips listed here, you’ll be ready to bring in clients in no time!